Education Law can include any issue that has to do with schools, access to schools, services at schools, or events that happen at schools. Education law can also be about the type and kind of education services being provided at a school.
JEP Lawyers working on education law provide services that may include:
- Seeking special education services – If a child is having trouble learning, getting bad grades, needs extra supports at school, or has a disability, they may need special education. A lawyer may help you understand your student’s needs and work with the school to get your child evaluated for special education services.
- Navigating the special education evaluation process – If a child needs special education services or already gets special education services a lawyer may help you get through the confusing processes and better understand what your child needs and what the school can do for your student.
- Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan – If a child has special education services through an IEP or 504 Plan a lawyer may help you by attending school meetings with you and getting the school to hear you.
- Student discipline or behavior issues – If a child is being suspended or is up for expulsion, or if a child is being sent home early from school, the school tells you not to bring the child to school, or the school is regularly punishing a child, a lawyer may help you learn your rights and get your child back in school.
- Bully/harassment issues – If a child is having problems with other children at school, after school, or on the way to or from school, this is a school issue and a lawyer may help you put plans in place with the school to keep your child safe.
- Transportation, residency, and tuition or fee issues – If the school suddenly stops transportation services or sends you a bill for tuition, you may be facing a residency issue. A lawyer may help you set the record straight and prevent you from having to pay money
Elise Harmening is the Owner and Principal Attorney for Harmening Law, LLC. Elise began Harmening Law, LLC as part of the Justice Entrepreneur’s Project through the Chicago Bar Foundation. Elise is committed to providing legal services for clients who do not fit into the traditional legal services model or qualify for legal aid.
Throughout her life, Elise has found a real connection with working with families and youth. She has personal experience working through the school system to advocate for accommodations and understands, intensely, what it feels like on both sides of the table.
When Elise is not practicing law, she enjoys playing violin at weddings, coaching debate, and listening to latest and greatest podcast. You can reach Elise at (312) 379-5288 or Elise@Harmeninglaw.com.
Calli Leigh Burnett
Burnett Law, LLC
Calli is passionate about helping students obtain the educational services they need and deserve. As a former teacher, Calli knows how important a quality education is and how difficult it can be to get for your student. As an attorney, Calli has helped many families and students hold schools accountable for providing the services students need. Calli has also served families by representing victims of domesitc violence in getting divorces and assisting families in obtaining stability through guardianships for minor children. Calli will work with you to understand your family and your student’s unique needs, she will work hard to get schools on your side and help you to better understand the options available for your student, and she will work with you to make sure her services are affordable for you. You can reach Calli at 847-216-8810 or email@example.com.