Education Law can include any issue that has to do with schools, access to schools, services at schools, or events that happen at schools. Education law can also be about the type and kind of education services being provided at a school.
JEP Lawyers working on education law provide services that may include:
- Seeking special education services – If a child is having trouble learning, getting bad grades, needs extra supports at school, or has a disability, they may need special education. A lawyer may help you understand your student’s needs and work with the school to get your child evaluated for special education services.
- Navigating the special education evaluation process – If a child needs special education services or already gets special education services a lawyer may help you get through the confusing processes and better understand what your child needs and what the school can do for your student.
- Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan – If a child has special education services through an IEP or 504 Plan a lawyer may help you by attending school meetings with you and getting the school to hear you.
- Student discipline or behavior issues – If a child is being suspended or is up for expulsion, or if a child is being sent home early from school, the school tells you not to bring the child to school, or the school is regularly punishing a child, a lawyer may help you learn your rights and get your child back in school.
- Bully/harassment issues – If a child is having problems with other children at school, after school, or on the way to or from school, this is a school issue and a lawyer may help you put plans in place with the school to keep your child safe.
- Transportation, residency, and tuition or fee issues – If the school suddenly stops transportation services or sends you a bill for tuition, you may be facing a residency issue. A lawyer may help you set the record straight and prevent you from having to pay money